Monday, October 18, 2010

This Is Not My Style

If a student is tested on something that was taught while they were in the office, standing outside, talking to their neighbor, eating chips, chewing gum, throwing things or being otherwise disruptive, it may cause learning to become more difficult, if not next to impossible. During an apparently frustrating Algebra I test today a student slammed the table in frustration and threw up her hands in surrender. "I just don't have a head for this stuff." The worst part about this is that she probably believes that lie. 

2 comments:

  1. Not understanding math can be frustrated. I remember feeling clueless in middle school and giving up. I am a firm believer that many people give up on the subject after missing a few lessons. The reason is that if they do not go back and learn the material its more difficult, or at times not possible, to move forward. I was far behind in math in 7th grade due to not paying attention in class and missing assignments that I got yanked out of school. Instead, I was put on a one on one homeschooling program for a year or so. It was brutal but worth it. If it weren't for the time I spent making up for what was lost I would have never been able to move forward successfully in math. Now its one of my favorite subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear that you had the fortitude to go back and catch up. The pace is already so quick that it makes it even more difficult when students miss class time. Also, Alg. I is like a pyramid. If you miss some of the base, it is difficult to build upward.

    ReplyDelete