Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Day I Cried After Class

I am relatively new at the school I am teaching at now. My students still don't know exactly what to make of me. The other day during instruction time a student asked me if I have ever cried. I unapologetically said "yes, I'm a big crier. It makes me feel better." Another student asked me if I had ever cried at school. I then told them about the only day I cried at school (as a teacher). During my first year of teaching an eighth grade girl told me she was leaving school because she was pregnant. This happened on the same day that one of my students read their first written words. Those two incidences pretty much put me over the line and I could not control my emotions. Both students were at the very beginning of their new lives. Later, as I was reviewing my day, I was reassured by my reaction. I realized that I care about these young people. I knew then that I was born to be a teacher and that not "just anyone" is given this charge in life. It is an enormous responsibility and a wonderful calling. Perhaps I'm at least partly feeling this way because it is Saturday and the playoffs are on.

No comments:

Post a Comment