Sunday, October 10, 2010

Drug Dealing a Good Future Goal?

Drug dealers are a scourge on our society that most of us never come face to face with. Last week one of my students was asked to step out of my classroom for a minute so other students would not be so distracted by him and his abhorrent behavior. After another teacher was working with the class I went out to talk to him. I told him that it seems to me like he is heading down a bad road (this is not our first time dealing with this student). I also suggested to him that he should consider the fact that this just might be as easy as his life will ever be, and that people will continually have more expectations on him as he gets older. 
Between spitting between his teeth onto the ground right in front of me, he flatly stated, “My uncle deals drugs and he doesn’t have any problems!”  I suggested to him that life might not be that great when you are constantly looking over your shoulder all the time, and that there are undoubtedly some other dealers that would love nothing more than to take away his business. I also suggested that drug dealers do not have long life spans and that it feels good to be a productive member of society. Although he would not admit it, I think I got through to him a little (at least more than anyone else ever has). 

4 comments:

  1. Have you ever read "Freakonomics" by Steven Levitt? He discusses the drug career. A great read as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the greatest diseases of our time: Apathy. Its everywhere and I don't know how you deal with it on such a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This student got caught using drugs at school a few days after the initial post.
    I have read Freakonomics. It is close to how I often see the world. I really like that book a lot.
    I deal with each situation as it comes, on a daily basis, otherwise it quickly becomes too overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete